logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IanCollinson  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 5:40:52 PM(UTC)
IanCollinson

Groups: Registered
Canada

I am investigating a customer issue where our WPF application crashes with an Out of Memory Exception when loading PDF Documents into the PDF Viewer, consuming around 1.4GB of RAM. Our application is a whiteboard style app where user can load multiple Viewers on to a large canvas space. This customer’s canvas has 37 PDFs on it, total file size is 70MB with most of the pdf content being images.

We have found that the application doesn’t crash on certain PCs. We think we have narrowed this down to Crashes on Win10 1903 and doesn’t crash on Win10 1809. The app is 32 bit, upgrading to 64 bit does seem to resolve the issue but that’s quite a significant change for us. We have upgraded the viewer to the latest version (V4.16.2704).
Questions:

Consuming so much memory from such a small total file size footprint seems strange.

I’m struggling to rationalize how the windows version is making a difference are others experiencing this.
Paul Rayman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 1:20:44 AM(UTC)
Paul Rayman

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Hmm ... 37 active viewers, 37 open documents ....

Well, 20MB per viewer instance with an opened and parsed PDF document is not much.
I would recommend a little change in the UI architecture so that documents are closed in those viewers that are currently not important to the user for any reason (hidden by canvas scrolling, too small for actual work with it, etc).
And vice versa, loaded and scrolled to the saved page at the moment when the viewer goes into the user's attention zone (when canvas is scrolling or zoom in for example).

Documents load very quickly, so this should not be a problem.

Edited by user Saturday, September 28, 2019 6:52:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

IanCollinson  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 12:12:24 PM(UTC)
IanCollinson

Canada

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, We are considering other options to how we architect the application, Unfortunately, unloaded the content based on viewport won't yield significant benefit as our viewport can be quite (very?) wide, upto 20 meters but typically around 5 meters. I think we might render the current page as an image and then load in the PDF when a user interacts with it.

I'm more trying to find out why this is breaking now, all things being equal only the windows update has changed and now the application crashes.

Could you expand on your comment of 20MB per viewer instance, how did you get to that number?

Paul Rayman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 3:01:40 AM(UTC)
Paul Rayman

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IanCollinson Go to Quoted Post

Could you expand on your comment of 20MB per viewer instance, how did you get to that number?

Well, actually, I calculated it as 1400 divided by 37, but... something went wrong :))
IanCollinson  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 9:58:58 AM(UTC)
IanCollinson

Canada

Ah no worries, I thought that might be a fixed overhead of the viewer. My experimentation is showing a 12MB PDF of 5 images is consuming around 50MB of memory.